Sunday, July 1, 2007

I believe.........

To someone observing from a distance, my life seemed picture perfect. Physical and material comforts and a cushioned existence in a joint-family set up. However my life wasn't a bed of roses. From the beginning I knew I was different. I had a propensity to rebel against the dictates of prescribed social behavior, and a daring ability to question the "rules". While my fellow mates from Venus were busy fitting the their gender roles to perfection, I stubbornly rejected the stereotypes. Survival of a fiery and independent minded female in a rigid patriarchal set-up was extremely tough. Till much later, I never knew the direction in which I wanted to steer my life. However, I did know that I would use the rudder of conviction to keep me sailing. I also knew that I would never relinquish or surrender my decision making powers to someone else. For me that seemed almost inconceivable.

Even today, some label me as an anti-thesis of homegrown values...but this doesn't faze me. To me, I am more desi than Daalda Vanaspati Ghee. However, with the earthy desiness is bundled a strong sense of independence.

Too bad if others can't digest it!!!

No comments: