Monday, April 23, 2007

Voices

Have you sometimes wondered why silence can be deafening? I have been probing for this answer in the deepest recess of my mind for the past few days, and today is just one of them.

It's one of those days at work (a Mundane Monday to be precise), when the afternoon laze has descended upon us, and the only sound which threatens to break the silence is the mindless droning of the keyboard...The isolated voice in my head, freshly hatched from the idle hour, turns into an incoherent murmuring...Fratured thoughts provide more ammunition to the murmurings which turn into loud whispers..Once these receive the acknowledgement of the wandering mind, they gain enough momemtum to degenerate into mindless cacophony.....By now the jangle in my head is loud enough to be heard by my workstation neighbour...half-embarrassed and half-amused, I shoot a furtive glance in his direction to make sure that he didn't hear it, or even if he did, at least masked it with indifference.....

That's when the elusive answer strikes me, like the obvious waiting to be discovered; silence is deafening when the turbulence inside snowballs to such an incredible extent, that it threatens to break into the sanctuary of the surrounding calm

No comments: